Opened 5 years ago

Closed 21 months ago

#1589 closed defect (worksforme)

Development builds not installing

Reported by: famlam Assignee:
Priority: Unknown Milestone:
Module: Unknown Keywords:
Cc: trev Blocked By:
Blocking: Platform: Firefox
Ready: no Confidential: no
Tester: Unknown Verified working: no
Review URL(s):

Description

Environment

Windows 7 SP1
FF 33.1.1

How to reproduce

  1. On https://adblockplus.org/en/development-builds click any (ABP, EHH, Customizer, Diagnostics) development build install link
  2. Allow the installation; notice the download bar reaches 100%
  3. Instead of proceeding with installing, get a message which literally translated means "the add-on could not be downloaded due to a connection issue with adblockplus.org" (screenshot attached)

Observed behaviour

Installing development builds impossible; already reset FF, didn't help

Expected behaviour

Expected to install, similar to the published extensions in the add-on gallery

Other

A few days ago I noticed that the EHH didn't open up anymore. When I checked, I noticed that all Eyeo extensions with the exception of ABP itself were uninstalled (somehow). They were all development builds. After resetting FF I again tried to install the development builds, but always end up with the error message from the screenshot (now including ABP).
Since it appears that the downloading itself doesn't really seem to be an issue, and it works fine via the add-on gallery, I was wondering if it might have something to do with certificates or so (my location: Netherlands).

Attachments (2)

Naamloos.png (9.2 KB) - added by famlam 5 years ago.
EHH_dutch.png (149.9 KB) - added by philll 5 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (13)

Changed 5 years ago by famlam

comment:1 Changed 5 years ago by philll

  • Cc trev added

Worked fine for me this morning

comment:2 Changed 5 years ago by trev

Same here. Famlam, is it something you can still reproduce?

comment:3 Changed 5 years ago by famlam

I can still reproduce it every time.
Would it help if I create a screen cast (or something like that?)
Also, perhaps your server logs may shine some light on this; I did three (unsuccessful) attempts to download the EHH dev build at 18:51 (24 Nov 2014, UTC+1) from an IP ending with .250 from within The Netherlands.

comment:4 Changed 5 years ago by jobp

Tried reproducing with Dutch VPN, works fine.

Last edited 5 years ago by jobp (previous) (diff)

Changed 5 years ago by philll

comment:5 Changed 5 years ago by philll

I also tried with dutch locale but everything worked fine.

comment:6 Changed 5 years ago by trev

The error message indicates a connection error so locale definitely shouldn't matter. However, I am not aware of any connectivity issues on our end around the time this issue was filed.

comment:7 Changed 5 years ago by famlam

I created a screen recording of the issue: http://www.solidfiles.com/d/4e620761cf/CAM00216.mpg
(Sorry about the mobile phone recording quality; the software I normally use doesn't seem to catch the install popup)

I also verified that the issue occurs on

  1. Windows 8.1
  2. A different (new) user account for that Windows 7 laptop
  3. On a VPN to my university

I can also try it on a university computer directly if you like (although that will probably take a few days).

comment:8 Changed 5 years ago by famlam

Ok, so I tried it on the university network on my Windows 8.1 laptop: failed
I tried it on a university computer: success

Since it also failed on a new user account / FF on my laptop, it had to be either hardware or external software related. So I disabled Avast Antivirus and it suddenly works on my laptop. So somehow Avast Antivirus prevents the installation of (and is probably the cause of the uninstallation of previous) ABP development builds.

comment:10 Changed 4 years ago by philll

  • Platform changed from Firefox/Firefox Mobile to Firefox

Made Firefox and Firefox mobile available as seperate platforms.

comment:11 Changed 21 months ago by sebastian

  • Resolution set to worksforme
  • Status changed from new to closed
  • Tester set to Unknown

I suppose there is nothing we can do, if it is your antivirus software that is interfering here. Also, meanwhile, development builds have been moved to AMO, and supposedly tons of other factors changed as well over the past 3 years. So I'm closing this issue now.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.