Opened 4 years ago

Closed 4 years ago

#3529 closed defect (fixed)

HA crash [ProtocolHandler startLoading]

Reported by: pavelz Assignee:
Priority: P1 Milestone: Adblock-Browser-for-iOS-1.3.0
Module: Adblock-Browser-for-iOS Keywords:
Cc: scheer Blocked By:
Blocking: Platform: Adblock Browser for iOS
Ready: no Confidential: no
Tester: Scheer Verified working: yes
Review URL(s):

Description (last modified by pavelz)

Environment

Adblock Browser 1.2.1
https://rink.hockeyapp.net/manage/apps/185237/app_versions/42/crash_reasons/99666833

Crash line
https://github.com/kitt-browser/kitt-core/blob/b4a11dca4f5df3d435d59cfffbcf863a6a438ba6/src/WebRequest/ProtocolHandler.m#L203

Remark for testers

The crash is a blind production report without known reproduction scenario. The fix was a best guess derived from the stacktrace. The crash is supposed to be happening under heavy load, possibly a combination of loading multiple heavy sites. Some requests then would start from a worker thread, not a designated thread, which made WebKit unhappy.

Attachments (3)

TestObject_Log_iPhone_6S_16GB_real_17-02-2016_09-14-52.txt (89.2 KB) - added by scheer 4 years ago.
TestObject_Log_iPhone_5S_16GB_real_2_17-02-2016_09-24-21.txt (75.5 KB) - added by scheer 4 years ago.
Raw Text Log.txt (56.5 KB) - added by scheer 4 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (16)

comment:2 Changed 4 years ago by pavelz

  • Description modified (diff)

comment:3 Changed 4 years ago by pavelz

  • Summary changed from HA crash [JSInjectorReporter callJavaScriptCallbackWithProperties:] to HA crash [ProtocolHandler startLoading]

comment:4 Changed 4 years ago by jand

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed

comment:5 Changed 4 years ago by pavelz

  • Description modified (diff)

comment:6 Changed 4 years ago by scheer

  • Cc scheer added
  • Resolution fixed deleted
  • Status changed from closed to reopened
  • Tester changed from Unknown to Scheer

Done.

I attempted multiple site loading and refreshing whilst conducting this test. I was able to reproduce the crash by loading some content-heavy websites such as imgur.com, Reddit, MSN and yahoo and then also loading into nvidia.com. Upon refreshing some tabs and the trying to load a link (Country selection, news article) on the Nvidia page, I was presented with a crash. I reproduced this multiple times on the following devices (Attached are the logs):

ABP 1.3.0-qa (814)
iPhone 6 16GB - iOS 9.2
iPhone 5S 16GB - iOS 8.3

comment:7 Changed 4 years ago by pavelz

@Scheer thanks for the report. Unfortunately we don't see the crashes in our system. The first one was not sent "because the limit of 25 for 109_AdblockBrowser logs has been reached" - which you probably figured out and cleared for the next, there the limit is reported fine. But we didn't get the next either. Have you started the app once more and allowed crash report submission?

comment:8 Changed 4 years ago by scheer

@pavelz - Yes, on all but one occasion I allowed the app to send the crash report. The one that did not get through was due to Test object becoming unresponsive. Let me know if there is more information you would like.

comment:9 Changed 4 years ago by scheer

After getting the permissions, I allowed 'always' on the crash report and followed the report through to the following link in Hockey App - https://rink.hockeyapp.net/manage/apps/185237/app_versions/42/crash_reasons/109391600

I have also attached the raw data file.

ABB 1.3.0-qa (814)
iPhone 5C 16 GB - iOS 9.2.1

Changed 4 years ago by scheer

comment:10 Changed 4 years ago by pavelz

@scheer i confirm the HA crash report being the same event as the attached raw text log. It also is a fresh event. However, both records claim that the device was iPad Air iOS 8.1.4 and HA adds that the app version was 1.2.1 (739). Do you have an idea how this strange difference from your testing environment described above could have happened? I have nothing against iPad Air, but testing version 1.2.1 makes no sense :) Furthermore the latest 1.3.0 build still does not work on iOS 8 due to #3655 so you could not test it anyway.

comment:11 Changed 4 years ago by scheer

@pavelz - As discussed, the log was from another version, that dropped into the Crash dashboard on HA at the same time (a little before) and hence was the incorrect one. As we said, I will try this on a few more devices and then report back on the issue to see if I am truly able to reproduce it.

comment:12 Changed 4 years ago by scheer

  • Verified working set
  • I was no longer able to reproduce this issue on a real device.

ABB 1.3.0-qa (824)
iPhone 6 Plus - iOS 9.2.1

comment:13 Changed 4 years ago by scheer

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from reopened to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.