Opened 4 years ago

Closed 3 years ago

#3540 closed defect (fixed)

Error for automatic filter list updates

Reported by: Caro Assignee: matze
Priority: P1 Milestone:
Module: Infrastructure Keywords:
Cc: fred, sporz, arthur Blocked By: #286
Blocking: Platform: Unknown / Cross platform
Ready: yes Confidential: no
Tester: Unknown Verified working: no
Review URL(s):

Description (last modified by Caro)

For me EasyList does sometimes noch get automatically updated. I get an error message right next to the filter list?

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylistgermany+easylist.txt?add…&platformVersion=47.0.2526.111&lastVersion=201601180921&downloadCount=4%2B 
Adblock Plus: Downloading URL https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylistgermany+easylist.txt failed (synchronize_connection_error)
Download address: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylistgermany+easylist.txt?add…&platformVersion=47.0.2526.111&lastVersion=201601180921&downloadCount=4%2B
Channel status: -1
Server response: 0

Attachments (2)

Screenshot developer tool abp extension.PNG (88.4 KB) - added by Caro 4 years ago.
error-pings.png (10.3 KB) - added by matze 3 years ago.
Clients with 5 cosectuive errors Apr/04 - May/02

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (11)

comment:1 Changed 4 years ago by matze

  • Cc fred added
  • Description modified (diff)
  • Priority changed from P4 to P3
  • Ready set

Looks like there are some issues with the DNS "balancing", again. I suppose it's related to the currently ongoing migration to a new balancing scheme and hope it will vanish afterwards. We'll see.

comment:2 Changed 4 years ago by Caro

  • Description modified (diff)

comment:3 Changed 3 years ago by matze

  • Priority changed from P3 to P1

The issue's severity seems to increase, there are more frequent but still quite short events. We now get reports from users of other browsers, i.e. Chrome, as well:

This webpage is not available

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

The server at easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed.

I did not yet manage to capture any malformed records. The logs of the interval-based monitoring I've set up before did not catch any bad records yet. It seems like the respective browser's cache prolongs the use of empty ones occasionally delivered by our DNS provider, but unfortunately also the manual checks after noticing (on affected machines) do not reveal any actual issues either.

comment:4 Changed 3 years ago by sporz

  • Cc sporz added

comment:5 Changed 3 years ago by arthur

  • Cc arthur added

comment:6 Changed 3 years ago by matze

  • Blocked By 261 added

comment:7 Changed 3 years ago by matze

  • Blocked By 286 added; 261 removed

comment:8 Changed 3 years ago by matze

  • Owner set to matze

Changed 3 years ago by matze

Clients with 5 cosectuive errors Apr/04 - May/02

comment:9 Changed 3 years ago by matze

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from new to closed

The newly established traffic management (#286) seems to improve the situation. Together with more resources to handle traffic peaks introduced recently issues like this one should become quite rare. Still, it will most likely re-occur whenever one of our up-links is over-loaded.

Our client applications are build to handle these outages and usually simply re-try the operation later, hence this is not considered being a severe issue. Nonetheless we are working on improved monitoring (i.e. #3981), in order to earlier discover and tackle bottlenecks in the future.


https://issues.adblockplus.org/raw-attachment/ticket/3540/error-pings.png

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.