Options page is extremely slow when dealing with large numbers of custom filters
|Cc:||sebastian, mapx, greiner||Blocked By:|
Description (last modified by kzar)
Adblock Plus 1.12.4
How to reproduce
- Download a copy of EasyList.
- Open it in a decent text editor, copy the whole thing to the clipboard.
- Open the Adblock Plus options page, select the "Add your own filters" tab.
- Click "Edit filters as raw text" and paste EasyList into the text area.
- Click to save your changes.
- Now attempt to "Edit filters as raw text" again, or attempt to remove even a single filter.
The options page becomes unresponsive and pegs the CPU, sometimes for a long time. Sometimes Chrome even considers that Adblock Plus has crashed.
The options page should use less CPU and be more responsive when dealing with large numbers of custom filters.
Hints for testers
Try pasting 10,000 filters from EasyList into the custom filters box. (Click "Edit filters as raw" and paste them in!) Then play with the custom filters interface and make sure Adblock Plus doesn't crash / take too long to respond. It's expected the interface will run a little slow, but it should still be usable. Things to try:
- Selecting one / a few filters and clicking the Remove button.
- Toggling the "Edit filters as raw" box a few times, try making some changes and applying them.
- Try removing all filters.
Note: Before these changes even attempting to remove a single filter would effectively crash Adblock Plus in this test meaning no web browsing was possible.
Change History (8)
comment:6 Changed 4 months ago by kzar
- Milestone set to Adblock-Plus-for-Chrome-Opera-next
- Resolution set to fixed
- Status changed from reviewing to closed