Opened 2 years ago

Closed 3 weeks ago

#5624 closed defect (rejected)

Universal Wildcard allows requests to be blocked on new tabs

Reported by: BrentM Assignee:
Priority: Unknown Milestone:
Module: Platform Keywords: closed-in-favor-of-gitlab
Cc: kzar, sebastian Blocked By:
Blocking: Platform: Chrome
Ready: no Confidential: no
Tester: Unknown Verified working: no
Review URL(s):

Description (last modified by kzar)

Environment

Windows 10
Chrome 60.0.3112.113
ABP version 1.13.3

How to reproduce

1) On the ABP Options page, subscribe to EasyPrivacy (I don't think this is required, it just makes the issue a bit more easy to see)

2) On the ABP Options page, 'Add your own filters' tab, add the universal wildcard rule:

@@^$document

3) Manually open a new tab Chrome by clicking the 'new tab' button(?) on the Chrome tab bar, the ABP toolbar icon shows items blocked.

Observed behaviour

The ABP toolbar icon shows items blocked.

Expected behaviour

No requests should be blocked.

Notes

I should note that this is Brent from AdBlock / BetaFish. A few users of AdBlock version 3.15.0 (based on ABP Core 1.13.3) have reported that our pause feature doesn't work on new tabs. The above steps seem also apply to AdBlock 3.15.0 when paused. AdBlock uses the universal wildcard to 'pause' ad blocking.

Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 2 years ago by kzar

  • Cc kzar sebastian added
  • Component changed from Unknown to Platform
  • Description modified (diff)

comment:2 Changed 2 years ago by sebastian

There is a request to https://clients5.google.com/pagead/drt/dn/ of the type sub_frame which is blocked by the filter ||google.com/pagead/. This request isn't associated with any document (it's parentTabId is set to -1), hence no document-based whitelisted can be applied. This looks like a Chrome bug to me, in particular since other requests on the new tab page are associated with the corresponding tab.

However, if you just want to disable all blocking, you can just use @@ instead of @@^$document.

comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by BrentM

Sebastian

I tested your suggestion of using @@ and that seems to work.

Thanks for quick reply.

-- Brent

comment:4 Changed 3 weeks ago by sebastian

  • Keywords closed-in-favor-of-gitlab added
  • Resolution set to rejected
  • Status changed from new to closed

Sorry, but we switched to GitLab. If this issue is still relevant, please file it again in the new issue tracker.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.