#6515 closed defect (worksforme)

Options page is broken in Edge

Reported by: oleksandr Assignee: geo
Priority: Unknown Milestone:
Module: Platform Keywords:
Cc: sebastian, kzar Blocked By:
Blocking: Platform: Edge
Ready: no Confidential: no
Tester: Unknown Verified working: no
Review URL(s):

Description (last modified by sebastian)

We have introduced a new options page in #5158 and #5803. However we have never fully tested it in Edge yet. Currently it doesn't work as expected.

Environment

EdgeHTML 16.16299.

How to reproduce

  1. Merge the current master into the edge bookmark
  2. Update buildtools subrepository to version a3db4a1a49e8 (Issue 6503 - Fix builds on Windows).
  3. Build the extension for Microsoft Edge (python build.py devenv -t edge) and load it into Edge.
  4. Open the Adblock Plus options page.

Observed behaviour

All the strings are loaded as "" emptry strings. See the attached screenshot.

Expected behaviour

Page should look the same as it looks in Firefox.

It seems like i18n is broken in Edge, so we need to investigate where the error really is and fix it.

Attachments (1)

edge_broken_options.PNG (150.6 KB) - added by oleksandr 20 months ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (12)

Changed 20 months ago by oleksandr

comment:1 Changed 20 months ago by oleksandr

  • Platform changed from Unknown / Cross platform to Edge

comment:2 Changed 19 months ago by sebastian

  • Description modified (diff)

comment:3 Changed 19 months ago by kzar

  • Owner set to geo

comment:4 Changed 19 months ago by kzar

Ollie which commit did "current master" refer to when you filed this issue?

comment:5 Changed 19 months ago by geo

I've build the extension from the next branch 93d92c8729e25f0173b6b34fa48fd3985e4bd7c3

I've checked the options page and it displayed the labels.

I've changed my language from English as described here https://pchelp.ricmedia.com/change-browser-language-ms-edge
I've checked the options page and it displayed the labels in English.

I've tried to do the same with Firefox, but the only way to change the language was to reinstall the browser.

For Chrome, changing the browser language, changed the extension language as well.

Removing and reloading the extension shows the labels in the correct language.
Is behavior a known issue? Should it be treated in a different ticket?

Either way, I'm going keep looking into it.

comment:6 Changed 19 months ago by sebastian

So when you use Microsoft Edge in a language other than English, the user interface is still using English text? This would be different from the behavior reported in this issue (i.e. no texts show at all, regardless of the language).

@oleskandr: Can you still reproduce the original issue on the current next branch?

@geo: Does the language you tried have complete translations?

comment:7 follow-up: Changed 19 months ago by geo

It happens when you have the extension installed and then change the language. It's still using the previous language.

One thing that I've forgot to mention, was that it affects every text, not just the options page.

Yes, the language that I've used is in the translations list. (it was the first thing that I've checked). I'll try with one that is not in the list and see what happens.

comment:8 in reply to: ↑ 7 ; follow-up: Changed 19 months ago by sebastian

Replying to geo:

It happens when you have the extension installed and then change the language. It's still using the previous language.

You may have to restart Microsoft Edge. But that might be difficult to test while keeping the extension installed in development mode. But if you reload the extension the texts show in the right language?

Yes, the language that I've used is in the translations list. (it was the first thing that I've checked). I'll try with one that is not in the list and see what happens.

The link I included in my previous comment, points to a directory in the source code repository. Not all sub-directories have complete translations. You'd have to look at the messages.json file in the respective folder in order to see if a particular string has been translated.

comment:9 in reply to: ↑ 8 Changed 19 months ago by geo

Replying to sebastian:

You may have to restart Microsoft Edge. But that might be difficult to test while keeping the extension installed in development mode. But if you reload the extension the texts show in the right language?

If I load the extension it stays there, even if the browser gets restarted. The only downside to this is that I need to restart my pc every time I change languages.
If I reload the extension, it does show the correct language.

The link I included in my previous comment, points to a directory in the source code repository. Not all sub-directories have complete translations. You'd have to look at the messages.json file in the respective folder in order to see if a particular string has been translated.

If a particular string or entire language is missing, it will show the text in English. So that part is working as expected.

What I found odd was that the extension didn't automatically picked on the new language and needed a reload. That's why I'm curious if this is the expected behavior or a possible bug.

comment:10 Changed 19 months ago by oleksandr

The issue is gone when merging from the next branch now. I was testing using c6c49111616b revision before.

What I found odd was that the extension didn't automatically picked on the new language and needed a reload. That's why I'm curious if this is the expected behavior or a possible bug.

This is expected. We only determine the locale when loading the extension.

I think this issue can be closed now, even though I have not found out what exactly fixed the issue.

comment:11 Changed 19 months ago by sebastian

  • Resolution set to worksforme
  • Status changed from new to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.