Opened 18 months ago

Closed 6 weeks ago

#6725 closed defect (rejected)

Another site where ABP element blocking is not working

Reported by: cjsmall Assignee:
Priority: Unknown Milestone:
Module: Platform Keywords: closed-in-favor-of-gitlab
Cc: Blocked By:
Blocking: Platform: Firefox
Ready: no Confidential: no
Tester: Unknown Verified working: no
Review URL(s):

Description

Environment

Xubuntu 17.10
Firefox 61.0.1
ABP: 3.1

How to reproduce

  1. Go to https://www.nytimes.com/ (any page on this site fails equally)
  1. Select an element to block: Try the footer index
  1. The Add Filters pop-up appears with these filters:

nytimes.com###site-index
nytimes.com##.site-index

  1. Select Add and nothing happens

This is true for any element you want to block. I'm finding this behavior on more and more sites where you can try to block items but cannot. On a previous instance of this type, someone reported that there were exceptions in some of the filter lists for certain sites. Is this the case here? If so, why?

Observed behaviour

See above

Expected behaviour

Should be able to block elements.

Attachments (2)

storage.js.current (7.6 MB) - added by cjsmall 18 months ago.
Current storage.js
storage.js.previous (7.7 MB) - added by cjsmall 18 months ago.
Previous storage.js

Change History (5)

Changed 18 months ago by cjsmall

Current storage.js

Changed 18 months ago by cjsmall

Previous storage.js

comment:1 Changed 18 months ago by cjsmall

I have reported this file truncation problem many times in the past. I hoped it would be fixed in the rewrite, but apparently not.

After reporting the above info, I noticed that I could start blocking elements on the nytimes.com site. I checked and saw that my storage.js file had been truncated. The previous backup had been 8046581 bytes while the file was now down to 7941429 bytes. Apparently this allowed elements to be blocked once again. I've attached both files. I notice that a lot of cookie entries are listed as missing and I see that I now have to login to every site that I visit having an account.

As I have reported in the past, this truncation seems to occur around the 8Mb size. I constantly return to sites where I have blocked elements only to see them again. I'm sure this is due to this truncation and loss of blocking info.

Please investigate this. If it cannot be fixed I will be forced to abandon ABP.

comment:2 Changed 6 weeks ago by greiner

  • Component changed from Unknown to Platform

comment:3 Changed 6 weeks ago by sebastian

  • Keywords closed-in-favor-of-gitlab added
  • Resolution set to rejected
  • Status changed from new to closed

Sorry, but we switched to GitLab. If this issue is still relevant, please file it again in the new issue tracker.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.