Opened 10 months ago

Closed 7 weeks ago

#7204 closed defect (rejected)

Websockets are not blocked in Edge

Reported by: Ross Assignee:
Priority: Unknown Milestone:
Module: Platform Keywords:
Cc: sebastian, kzar, geo Blocked By:
Blocking: Platform: Edge
Ready: no Confidential: no
Tester: Unknown Verified working: no
Review URL(s):

Description

Environment

ABP 0.9.11.2214 (Devbuild)
Edge 44.17763.1.0 / EdgeHTML 18.17763

NOT a regression compared to 0.9.11 (Release)

How to reproduce

  1. Open https://testpages.adblockplus.org/en/filters/websocket
  2. Add the filter below the test case.
  3. Refresh the page.

Observed behaviour

The Websocket connection is not blocked.

Expected behaviour

The Websocket connection to be blocked, as it is in Chrome/Firefox

Change History (6)

comment:1 Changed 10 months ago by sebastian

IIRC, the webRequest API on Microsoft Edge does not see WebSocket connections (unlike Firefox and modern versions of Chrome). Geo, can you confirm this?

comment:2 Changed 10 months ago by geo

Unfortunately Sebastian is right, the WebSocket connections are not detected by the webRequest API.

Atm it's a bit unclear to me if this is a bug on their side, or simply not implemented, because I didn't had much luck finding any information.

@Sebastian I have a small extension sample and test case scenario ready if you think that it's worth reporting it to them.

comment:3 follow-up: Changed 10 months ago by sebastian

It certainly wouldn't hurt to report a bug for that. For reference, Chrome had the same problem before version 58, and back then we went to quite some length working around that limitation by patching the WebSocket API. This code has been removed meanwhile, and with Microsoft Edge's plans to move to Chromium it's probably not worth to reintroduce an overly complex workaround for the time being.

Version 2, edited 10 months ago by sebastian (previous) (next) (diff)

comment:4 in reply to: ↑ 3 Changed 9 months ago by geo

Replying to sebastian:

It certainly wouldn't hurt to report a bug for that. For reference, Chrome <=57 had the same problem, and back then we went to quite some length working around that limitation by patching the WebSocket API. This code has been removed meanwhile, and with Microsoft Edge's plans to move to Chromium it's probably not worth to reintroduce an overly complex workaround for the time being.

Done, here it is.

comment:5 Changed 7 weeks ago by Ross

Just a random note that this is still the case in:

ABP 0.9.17.2395
Edge 44.18362.329.0

comment:6 Changed 7 weeks ago by sebastian

  • Component changed from Unknown to Platform
  • Resolution set to rejected
  • Status changed from new to closed

That is expected as per the above comments, nothing changed in this regard.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.