Opened 5 months ago

Closed 3 weeks ago

#7456 closed defect (rejected)

ABP stops working on Firefox

Reported by: Ross Assignee:
Priority: P2 Milestone:
Module: Platform Keywords: externaldependencies, closed-in-favor-of-gitlab
Cc: sebastian, kzar, greiner Blocked By:
Blocking: Platform: Firefox
Ready: yes Confidential: no
Tester: Unknown Verified working: no
Review URL(s):

Description (last modified by kzar)

Environment

ABP 3.5.1 (Release)
ABP 3.5.1.2295 (Devbuild)
Firefox 66.0.2 / Windows 10

How to reproduce

  1. Have ABP installed.
  2. [Unsure if required] Update Firefox at some point.
  3. Notice at some point ABP has stopped working.

Observed behaviour

ABP stops working. Adverts are no longer blocked. The popup opens but the user cannot open the settings from the [Cog]. The user can open from the extension menu but it does not function.

There is a Firefox browser console log attached. There are various messages coming from the extension, but it seems most of them are caused by the erroneous state of the extension.

An interesting one is

IndexedDB UnknownErr: ActorsParent.cpp:13756
IndexedDB UnknownErr: ActorsParent.cpp:12090

Which I guess might mean it's related to the Firefox bugs mentioned in #7430 and it's the storage issues that puts ABP into a bad state.

Expected behaviour

ABP to not stop working completely, in spite of platform bugs, if possible.

Notes

Attachments (1)

abp-3.5.1.txt (16.7 KB) - added by Ross 5 months ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (8)

Changed 5 months ago by Ross

comment:1 Changed 5 months ago by greiner

I don't see a relation to #7430 because no settings are being updated in the reproduction steps which we might not get notified of.

You mentioned that there are various messages that may be caused by the extension's state. Those may be helpful to find out what this error is about so mind attaching them to this ticket?

comment:2 Changed 5 months ago by sebastian

This seems to be rather related to Firefox bug 1522188. Ross, can you share your findings there, and provide the information the Firefox developer is asking for?

comment:3 Changed 5 months ago by kzar

  • Description modified (diff)

Great, you've reproduced this bug! I wasn't able to. I'm going to take a look at that log now.

Please could you follow these instructions? I'm collecting corrupted storage directories so I can check things for the Firefox developer.

Also, please could you check for crashes?

  1. Open a new Firefox tab and navigate to about:crashes
  2. Take a look at the list of recorded crash reports (both submitted and unsubmitted) to see if any were for around the same time that this problem started happening.
  3. If so, take care to click the "Submit" button if it's unsubmitted, then let me know what the Report ID is.

comment:4 Changed 5 months ago by kzar

  • Component changed from Unknown to Platform
  • Keywords externaldependencies added
  • Ready set

comment:5 Changed 5 months ago by Ross

@greiner

What I meant was: Most of the messages in the attached log look like Unchecked lastError value: Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist. include.preload.js:546. Which (I'm guessing) is because FF has caused the extension to not be set up properly after loading (so in a bad state).

@kzar

I spent a while trying to reproduce this again and could not. I also do not have any crashes from around the same time (my last was in Febuary).

comment:6 Changed 5 months ago by kzar

OK, not to worry. Thanks for filing the issue, your logs have already given the Firefox developers a few clues.

comment:7 Changed 3 weeks ago by sebastian

  • Keywords closed-in-favor-of-gitlab added
  • Resolution set to rejected
  • Status changed from new to closed

Sorry, but we switched to GitLab. If this issue is still relevant, please file it again in the new issue tracker.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.